February: What to do in your Garden (East Side Orlando, FL, zone 9b)
- There is still a chance for a frosty night or two, so wait until the end of February before planting tender plants outside.
- Apply crabgrass seed prevent granules in mid-February
- Your Lawn - Broadleaf weed control and insecticide. Fight weeds with Atrazine. Talstar Xtra for insects.
- Cut back and fertilize your roses
- Fertilize your citrus trees and spray with liquid copper before blossoms open
- Prune Azaleas and Camellias AFTER the blooms are faded
- Plant vegetables, such as:
- Plant flowers, such as:
Consider adding a flower bed to your yard
and do it the easy way – Lasagna style
Start by outlining your new flower bed, and adding several layers of newspaper. Then add several inches of cow manure, shredded leaves, bagged soil, compost, peat moss, etc. Cover with a layer of mulch and water well. No need to dig up the tough St. Augustine grass, it will suffocate and turn into compost.
Quote of the Month
No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn