June – What to do in your Garden (East Side Orlando, FL, zone 9b)
- Your Lawn - It is Fire Ant season! Ceasefire or Talstar Xtra are great for granular control of Fire ants.
- Summer rains are here, be sure and turn off sprinkler system when it rains.
Run the sprinkler twice a week for 45 to 60 minutes, this is best for your plants, grass, and water conservation.
Water early in the morning; this is when plants and lawns absorb the most water.
- Mulch your flowerbeds with pine bark (nuggets or fines) to help keep the roots cool.
- Prune weak branches and thin out the oak trees in preparation for hurricane season.
- June is a good month to plant palms.
- Tip prune hibiscus, oleander and other summer flowering shrubs, they flower on new growth.
- Deadhead spent flowers to encourage new blooms.
- Monitor the garden for pests. Early detected will make it much easier to control them.
- Herbs and Vegetables to plant now:
- Flowers to plant now:
Quote of the Month
“Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take A Yard”