March: What to do in your Garden (East Side Orlando, FL, zone 9b)
- Welcome Springtime!
- Fertilize your shrubs and flowers if you did not do so already
- Your Lawn - Use Turf building fertilizer 24-0-11 w 6% iron with slow release Nitrogen. Iron releases first for a quick green up.
- Prune spring flowering plants, such as Azaleas, Gardenias, Camellias, right after they are done blooming.
- Plant flower seeds, including cosmos, marigolds, gaillardia, zinnia
- Divide your clumps of iris and daylilies
- Keep an eye out for garden pests, look for aphids and mites. To control them use insecticidal soap, and buy some lady bugs.
- Check your sprinkler system for damaged spray heads
- Plant warm season vegetables, such as:
Garlic chives grow well all year, as well as Mexican Tarragon
- Plant flowers, such as:
Quote of the Month
“Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful:
they are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul.”