The salts are delicious, here are our favorites:
|A sprinkle of finishing salt goes a long way.|
These flavored salts are easy and fast to make, perfect little edible homemade gifts but make sure to keep some for yourself.
All you need is salt, flavors, small 2 oz containers and an electric coffee grinder.
For the Salt I am using Aztec Coarse Unrefined Sea Salt, it has a good amount of moisture so the salt crystals hold their shape.
Here are some suggestions for flavor, but the possibilities are endless:
- freeze dried blueberries - Blueberry salt (blueberry margarita, salads, steak)
- organic rose petals, dried - Rose petal salt (truffles, salt rim for cocktails)
- dried lime peel and one Kaffir leaf - Kaffir Lime Salt (Asian dishes, corn on cob)
- dried herbs such as rosemary or thyme - Herb salt (Mediterranean dishes)
- dried chili pepper - Chili salt
- dried lemon peel - Lemon salt
- crumbly cooked bacon - Bacon salt (popcorn, Bloody Mary, scrambled eggs)
The containers I am using are glass spice jars.
Thoroughly clean the electric coffee grinder so your salts don't taste like coffee.
I use 2 1/2 tablespoons salt plus 1 tablespoon flavoring.
First pulse the flavoring a few times, then add the salt by tablespoons pulsing a few times to combine.
Store the salt in an airtight container.